Can you believe the new financial year is here? For many small business owners, the end of a financial year period can be overwhelming. You're focused on reconciling your accounts and getting your financial affairs in order.
But, you can also look at it as an opportunity, to focus on the year ahead and what that means for you and your small business.
As we start the new financial year, take the time out to work on your business, rather than in your business. Think about;
- - What have you achieved in the past 12 months?
- - Did you reach your goals? If, not why not?
- - Is your business delivering for you financially? If, not why not?
- - What would you have done differently? Most importantly, what are you going to do differently this year?
- - What are your goals for the next 12 months, and how are you going to achieve them?
- This year for me has been an interesting one, with lots of ups and downs. Over the past three years, I grew a start-up small business and sold it a few months ago. Then I made the decision to take a break from my corporate CEO role. I wanted to focus on using my skills to add real value to small business. Working for good rather than evil, as the saying goes. This quote from Oprah sums up how I was feeling.
“Unless you choose to do great things with it, it makes no difference how much you are rewarded, or how much power you have." – Oprah Winfrey
It bothered me that large corporate organisation had access to the skill and experience of a CEO. Yet, SME & Small Business didn’t have the same luxury.
So, I decided to do something about it. Watch this space!
I’ve thrown myself into the unknown, and I’m embracing any fear that comes my way. We are all the masters of our own destiny, if we don’t embrace life and take risks, what’s the point?
When I’m out of my comfort zone, and I'm passionate about what I'm doing, contributing and making a difference. The more I grow, develop and learn, which is what I love.
I have set myself some “Big Goals” for the next 12 months, and I continue to plan and focus on how I’m going to get there!
“If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail!” – Benjamin Franklin
Now is the time to plan the next 12 months for your small business. Document what you aim to achieve in your business, and how you are going to get there! If you need help planning, don't be afraid to ask for it!